What can you mod in XWA
in the 3D engine:
- 3D Objects (Ships, stationary objects, objects in space)
- Ship info (General info, statistics, weapon configuration, etc.)
- 2D elements (Cross-hairs, effect sprites, explosions etc.)
- Scene Backdrops (Planets, Nebulae, etc.)
- Sound effects
In the 2D frontend
- Background imagery
- 2D objects (Cursors, Icons, trophies, etc)
- In-game mails
- Campaign structure
Before you do anything, make sure your game is patched to version 2.02. For digital editions (Steam, GoG) that should not be an issue as the Framework will keep them up-to-date automatically.
As for the classic CD version (you remember CDs?) you'll need to install the patch manually. [add link here]
Once that is done, you're pretty much good to go for both playing and modding the game.
If you're interested in modding the game, you'll want to get some tools, depending on what you want to do. All tools and programs can be downloaded from Darksaber's X-Wing Station.
Installing models and/or changing statistics
Note: You'll likely need one of these in order to install third-party models that don't come with their own installer.
Creating custom models
- a modelling program, e.g. Rhino3D, Blender, etc.
- a painting program, e.g. Fireworks, PhotoShop, Corel Photo Paint, Paint Shop Pro
- an OPTing program
- Optional programs for post-production
- OPT Enhancer
- XWA OPTer